Tuesday 28 January 2014

News Flash

I think I have a new obsession. From the first time I laid eyes on the work of Dorothy Hafner, I was hooked! This American designer, born in 1952 and still working today, started creating ceramics in 1972. She went on to create the shapes for the Flash range for Rosenthal in 1982, and also designed most of the decors on the series.


Rosenthal Flash
Creamer and sugar bowl - Flash One by Dorothy Hafner for Rosenthal

A few weeks ago I came across the above creamer and sugar bowl of the "Flash one" series, and I just had to have them. What I love most about them is how the shape complements the décor. They really work together, the angular lines of the shape are strengthened by the lines and blocks of color in the décor. My favorite item in the range must be the fondue set: it doesn't get more eighties than this!

The items in the Flash range remind me a lot of the postmodern designs from the Memphis group. Both the wacky, asymmetrical shapes, and bizarre color combinations. They are so much fun, looking at them makes me happy!

In addition to her work for Rosenthal, Dorothy Hafner also designed some beautiful items for Tiffany's, including a range of angular teapots with bamboo handles, that are absolutely wonderful! She still creates art for her own studio, but nowadays she mostly works in glass. These items are also incredibly pretty.

Her work is included in a lot of museum collections, including the Victoria & Albert in London and the Smithsonian. Although Rosenthal's Flash range is already collectible, I think this will be an area for future investment. If you can snap some pieces up, it seems like a wise choice.

Dorothy Hafner has a great website, where she sells some of her studio work, sadly a bit above my budget. You can find it on www.dorothyhafner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment