Tuesday 24 September 2013

Mid Century Modern Times

Ever since I heard that some of the West-Germany pottery factories were involved in making clocks, I've been hoping to find one. During my 8+ years of collecting I had never been so lucky, although I saw on the internet forums that there were plenty of fellow collectors who managed to find lovely examples.

That was until a few weekends ago when I biked to one of the neighboring villages to visit a  fair. There were a lot of clothes  and some antiques on sale, but I couldn't see anything remotely resembling a piece of West-German ceramics. I was already starting to wonder why I biked the whole way down here (it was quite a windy day). And then I saw it! Tucked away behind some spice jars and oven dishes stood this beautiful slate gray seventies clock! Could it be that I was super lucky and this was not just a seventies clock, but a GERMAN seventies clock as well?

Kienzle clock, Carstens Tönnieshof, West-Germany pottery
Kienzle Boutique clock, body made by Carstens Tönnieshof
The first thing I noticed after the vendor passed it to me was the name Kienzle Boutique, confirming that it must indeed be a German clock! Kienzle is one of the oldest clock and watch making factories in Germany, they started manufacturing in 1822, and are still in existence today. The Boutique line was launched in the seventies, and targeted young, hip buyers that loved design. This line included metal, plastic, and ceramic items. Most items in this boutique line were colorful, and typically seventies in design and décor.
  
So far, so good. But when looking for vintage items, there is always the question of condition. You sometimes encounter the most amazing pieces, and it is such a turn-off when you spot that large chip or crack three seconds later, after the initial shock of finding the item cooled down a bit. (I'm ashamed to admit that there have been occasions when I was SO happy about I find that I became blind for damages to items, and didn't notice them until unpacking the item at home.) But in this case the face of the clock is in perfect vintage condition! Obviously I couldn't leave it, so I purchased the item and happily took it home. For now it is happily ticking away the time in my kitchen.

Kienzle clock, Carstens Tönnieshof, West-Germany pottery
There still was a bit of research left to do (my favorite part), as I would love to know who actually made the clock. I had read that both Herbolzheim Keramik - a company that also made kitchen ware and wall plates - and Carstens Tönnieshof  made ceramic bodies for Kienzle. Based on that info and comparable examples I figured this one was probably made by Carstens, but I wasn't sure. Luckily the lovely folks on the pottery and glassforum were able to confirm for me that this item is indeed made by Carstens Tönnieshof voor Kienzle.


So there you have it! My first West-Germany pottery wall clock. I love the Mid Century Modern look of this clock, with its simple square shape, nice clean lines and well placed red and blue color accents. The thick metal hanging chain gives it that characteristic seventies feel. Carstens and Kienzle have produced a great piece of art in this collaboration!

No comments:

Post a Comment