Wednesday 21 August 2013

A volcanic welcome!

A volcanic welcome!

Almost exactly 8 years ago I picked up my first West-Germany vase at a yard sale of a local nursing home. It was a Scheurich 517-38, with the Lora décor. It even had the original label. Although it was love at first sight, I never suspected that buying this one item would lead to a collection of several hundred (mostly fat lava) vases, and a life long passion for all things vintage.

Scheurich West-Germany pottery Lora Fat Lava vase
The smallest Lora ever?

The Lora vase still has a proud place in the displayed part of my collection. The décor became one of my favorites and I have collected several items with the same glaze over the years. As these vases have given me so much joy, I would love to share some of the stories and history behind them. You can expect to find information on the factory and glazes, but I will also share some of the anecdotes behind personal favorites in my collection and new finds. It'll mostly be about West-Germany pottery, but as I also encounter other wonderful vintage items during my scavenging, so I wouldn't want to keep these treasures from you.

I hope you'll enjoy my stories and these vases as much as I do. If you already love West-Germany pottery and have your own amazing collection, I hope you'll be able to find that nugget of information that you didn't knew yet, and if you're new to this Fat Lava thing, who knows, maybe I can spark a new passion?

Enjoy!

Leanne

1 comment: